- Develop lifelong skills which drive a love of learning and a thirst for knowledge
- Grow an understanding of ourselves, each other, the world and our place in it
- Nurture curiosity and creativity that feed the imagination
- Cultivate aspiration through motivation, excitement and self-belief
- Instill the values of Respect, Responsibility and Resilience
Principles of our curriculum:
- In line with mastery learning, we will focus on depth before breadth in every subject area so that pupils can attain proficiency and study the curriculum with confidence.
- Teach pupils Personal Learning and Thinking Skills so that they become successful and motivated learners, internationally minded confident and responsible citizens.
- Develop and nurture collaborative learning within the Trust so that pupils develop social skills,
- Endorse high quality project based learning so that pupils are motivated by real purposes and real audiences from which high quality learning is produced, less abstract more concrete.
- Promote feedback which allows pupils time to engage, reflect and review – including peer and self evaluation so that they are capable of improving their own learning.
- Ensure oracy is at the heart of the curriculum so that our pupils are able to express themselves fluently, grammatically and confidently.
- Develop social and emotional learning so that our pupils are self aware, foster positive relationships and achieve personal well-being.
- Participate in the arts so that our pupils develop artistically and creatively
- Provide an experience rich curriculum so that all pupils can pursue personal interests and talents
- Digital technology is used effectively and creatively so that pupils are digitally fluent and equipped for life.
- Enable our pupils to demonstrate learning in different ways, not always pages in an exercise book but photographs, posters, products presentations and performances
- Foster a growth mindset in our pupils so that they have the strength of character to persevere.
At Yewdale Primary School we offer a broad and balanced curriculum which is created from a variety of sources including The National Curriculum and Discovery RE. The primary curriculum has been developed across all CET Primaries so that good practice can be shared and built upon. It is the school belief that ‘Children come first’ therefore our curriculum needs to be vibrant, stimulating, engaging, exciting and most of all make learning fun. From this ethos, our pupils leave Yewdale Primary School with a rich knowledge and skills that will enable them to succeed in the next phase of their learning adventure.
We use The National Curriculum to support the planning and teaching of Mathematics and English. We also supplement our Mathematics curriculum with materials from White Rose Hub. Phonics is taught through the Little Wandle Phonics Programme.
Long term Plans for the academic year 2022/23 can be found on this page. This long term plans ensures that the curriculum offer is exciting, broad and balanced.
English and Maths leaders have explored the national curriculum and have developed a long term pan for teachers to follow to ensure continuity and coverage of all the core elements from the national curriculum.
Teachers are able to plan, deliver and assess all learning skills to ensure learning is matched for need.
To support the teaching and planning of RE, we use Discovery RE which is an enquiry – based approach to Religious Education for primary children of all ages. It is a progressive scheme that is broken into four steps; Engagement, Investigation, Evaluation and Expression. Through the enquiry based approach, children not only gain knowledge and understanding of a variety of world religions, but also develop an understanding of how beliefs impact on daily lives.
French is delivered in all classes and is based on the National Curriculum Guidance for Foreign Languages.
Physical Education – As well as teaching PE in house, we also have strong PE links with our MAT secondary schools. Through these links our pupils benefit from PE coaching that enhances the already strong PE provision within our existing team. We also take the opportunity to participate in many sports festivals hosted locally throughout the year and attend festivals organised by schools and clubs in Carlisle along with CET events.
Our after school opportunities include a variety of clubs run by our staff and external partnerships. We also offer a range of creative and musical based after school clubs, including school choir, art club, Lego club, reading club and film club.
Our pupils enjoy the learning here at Yewdale, we hope that this brief overview gives you a flavour of the learning culture here, please feel free to come and have a look for yourself. We welcome visitors to our school, so if you would like to book a visit, you can find the contact details on the ‘About Us’ tab at the top of our website.